This spark in our lives episode guest is Michaelbrent Collings. Michaelbrent graduated from a top law school and became a partner in only a few years; he was on the fast track to a very successful career in law. His wife suddenly fell ill and his life changed— Michaelbrent went from working up to 70 hours a week to working part-time to care for her. With this dramatic shift, Michaelbrent was invited to leave the law firm, going from partner to unemployed.
With a passion for writing and one book, he pivoted to start his own business as an indie author and publisher. Now a decade later, Michaelbrent is one of the most successful indie novelists who is known for Horror and was even voted as one of the top 20 All-Time Greatest Horror Writers in a Ranker poll of 20,000 readers. At Written Insomnia Press, he does not handle just writing— Michaelbrent handles publishing, marketing and PR, digital presence, and advertising. There were many challenges along the way that Michaelbrent has overcome and lessons learned along with them.
The subject matter in this podcast conversation regarding mental illness can be triggering to some. We highly recommend that if you have thoughts of harming yourself, that call or text 988 or text TALK to 741741. You can also suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ We take the topic of mental health seriously. Please reach out for help if you feel that you are having your own mental health issues or questions at all.
We chat with Michaelbrent Collings about:
- When he first realized he needed to pivot and going about that despite his shift in career
- His determined mindset kept him going and what inspired him to become an Indie Author and Publisher
- The Horror novels Michaelbrent writes and what makes them standout in the genre
- Staying on top of the writing, publishing, marketing, and branding for his novels and juggling the multiple tasks
- The biggest lessons he has learned from this experience
- Michaelbrent answers our Fast 5 questions, and the most important question we ask all of our guests, “what does a life well lived mean to you?”
- You can find Michaelbrent Collings on his website Written Insomnia and learn more on his Patreon
- Follow Michaelbrent on his Instagram and YouTube to stay updated on his upcoming releases.
- Sign-up to be “in the know” with our upcoming podcast guest list.
- You can always find us on our blog or Instagram.
- Please let us know your thoughts on this episode or others. Your feedback means the world to us, so please send us a message and tell us what you think.
- Looking for a sponsor we mentioned on this episode? You can find them here.
Thank you so much for listening. We are so honored that you’re here. If you loved this podcast, we would be so grateful if you could leave us a 5-star review/rating. That way we can be inspired, inspire others, and continue to create more content! It means more than you know! 🙂