Betty White turned 10 years old, recently. Birthdays are always special around the Arner household, but this one, was extra special. We have always had a birthday celebration for Betty, and our previous pets, so needless to say, you can’t have a birthday celebration without a birthday cake.
There are a few pup bakeries in our area, where I (Shannon) have purchased cakes from in the past, but in the most recent years, I have enjoyed baking Betty’s birthday cake, since I can tailor it to her specific fave flavors, and I also feel like I am giving her a bit of love with making something with my own hands, rather than delegating that special task to someone else.
Betty’s cake is easy-peasy to make, and so I thought I would share it with you. You can make this as-is, for a pup birthday, or you can make a cake and cut it into treats. Note, there are no preservatives in this (that’s a good thing), so it will not last as long as your store bought treats, so I recommend keeping the recipe to this portion, and not doubling, unless you are feeding multiple dogs.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of pureed apples (or finely chopped, pups love the chunks)
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin baby food
Super easy instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- First combine the flour and baking soda.
- Then, add the egg, olive oil, peanut butter, apples, and pumpkin. Mix well.
- Pour into lightly greased cake pan (I use a round pan).
- Cook for 25 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Spread a thin layer of peanut butter over the cake. I have added water to the peanut butter so it remains a thinner icing.
- Decorate the top with treats, candles, or whatever your heart desires. I have used cut apples before to line the outside circle of the cake, which makes for a cute décor. You can also use an icing bag and tip to decorate with peanut butter flowers.
- Get creative! Your pup will appreciate your effort. 😊
There you have it! Betty White’s easy-peasy birthday cake! You will most definitely get the question of whether or not humans can eat it, and you definitely can, but without the sugar, it may not be what you would expect from cake, so try it if you must, but it’s really for the pup’s pallet.