As you probably already read in the George Foreman grill blog, we do love grilling eggplant, and there isn’t anything better than grilled eggplant parmesan, except when you grow the eggplant yourself. This year, our garden included eggplant, and we had the most amazing harvest! We thought we would share my (Gerry) recipe for grilled eggplant parmesan, which includes many items from our garden, though you can, of course, purchase fresh items from your local farmer’s market, or grocer. This is a great summer dish. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Ger’s Grilled Garden Eggplant
- 2 large eggplants
- Approximately 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Wash and peel the eggplant, cut lengthwise. Drizzle with olive oil, and set aside.
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil, and place on half of the grill. We have a Foreman grill, so we can do this. If you have a grill that has slots, you can do this on a flat top, or in a pan. You can also substitute large tomatoes and grill those.
- While the tomatoes are grilling, grill the eggplant for about 6-7 minutes on each side. I brush with olive oil at each turn. We like our eggplant buttery, with a nice olive oil taste.
- Remove the tomatoes, and add slices of fresh mozzarella to the eggplant and cover with a lid for about 5 minutes.
- Brush with olive oil, add fresh basil, and tomatoes, and serve with pasta, bread, or whatever you choose.
If you think you are not an eggplant fan, well, try this recipe and you will be. We promise!
Ahhh! So happy to hear! We absolutely love it! We made it tonight, again! 😋 Glad you enjoyed it!
Our daughter made something similar to this the other day. Delicious.