Whether you find this at a transitional point of the year or need a boost, we share the best books on self-discipline. We love self-help books that spark the motivation we may need to hone in on our true discipline skills. A good self-help motivational book is an excellent way to keep your morale high and your goals in sight.
We don’t want anyone to be turned away from our discussion on discipline books. The term discipline can seem harsh. We always want to know more about mindset, and how we can tune into our willpower instinct. We specifically chose book recommendations that are inspirational and that we enjoy.
Whether you’re looking for an inspirational read that will help you get through a tough patch or just a lighthearted story to make you laugh, there are plenty of options. Here are some of the top self-help books we recommend adding to your “must-read” list that will also work some mental toughness, or as David Goggins says, “callous your mind”. Hint-hint, Goggins is definitely on this list!
Best Books on Self Discipline
This list of the best books on self-discipline is in no particular order.
1. “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho – A few years ago, we kept hearing all of our favorite inspirers talk about this book, so we had to read it. It’s a classic! This story is of a young shepherd boy, Santiago, who embarks on a journey searching for his dreams. Along the way, he has many life-changing experiences and learns valuable lessons about himself and the world around him. Although it may be classified as fiction, this book is full of wisdom that can be applied to everyday life — making it one of our top recommendations for self-help books.
2. “You Are A Badass” by Jen Sincero – This New York Times bestselling book offers readers a no-nonsense approach to transforming their lives into ones filled with success and happiness. Through humor and real stories from her own life, Sincero helps readers let go of their fears and take control of their destinies. It’s full of practical advice that will inspire anyone looking to make positive changes in their life. This is an obvious choice for any list of best books on self-discipline.
3. “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle – Whether you are a Tolle fan or not, this book showcases how the ability to milk the moment equals freedom. This book is all about living in the present moment and discovering how to stay grounded and focused on what matters most in life. It helps readers learn to identify their emotions, accept them and move forward with optimism and purpose. This is truly about being here now.
4. “The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey – Isn’t this on everyone’s list of best books on self-discipline? There is a reason for it. This timeless classic has been helping people reach their goals since 1989. It offers seven simple but powerful habits that can be used to create lasting change in your life — whether it’s improving your relationships, achieving career success, or finding inner peace.
5. “Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear” by Elizabeth Gilbert – This inspiring read provides guidance on harnessing creativity and pursuing our passions without worrying about perfectionism or criticism from others getting in the way of our goals. It is an empowering reminder that living a creative life is possible if we just let go of our fears and take risks instead. If you enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love then you know Gilbert’s journey. Her willingness of practicing mind construct shows how much she is willing to do the work when it comes to living the best life she can. That is her greatest human strength.
6. “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Goggins – Despite it being number six on our list of the best books on self-discipline, it is our top choice! Goggins holds the master key to unlocking what it is to tap into mindset. This book truly defines what it means to defy the odds, especially if life has dealt you a tough hand. Goggins had a horrendous childhood, yet was able to surpass what was expected of him. He is the only man to complete Navy SEAL training, Army Ranger and Air Force Tactical Air Controller. He also set records in numerous endurance events. We dare you to make an excuse as to why you cannot do something after you read this book.
7. “Never Finished” by David Goggins – notable mention because this book is a wonderful sophomore release by Goggins. When you read, Can’t Hurt Me, move right on to Never Finished. This book is the perfect extension to motivating you to continue on your path toward the self-discipline that you need. We had to include it on this list.
8. “Sustainable Excellence” by Terry Tucker – Tucker is a cancer warrior and knows a little something about how mind control works. He is also a big David Goggins fan, so we had a great conversation with him when he was on our podcast. His book moves through ten principles to provide you with a foundation of strength. This will, in turn, help you be able to better navigate challenges when they come because they will come. This book and Terry’s story are one of resilience and dedication.
Don’t let the hustle culture get you down!
Living in a society, as Americans, where the most important thing is to achieve, we want to make sure that we express that we are not pushing that when we discuss self-discipline. We think it is important to know yourself. Know what you want out of life to live the best life possible. When you know what things will make your life a life well lived, sometimes you may need to get your mind focused on getting there.
Having a list of the best books on self-discipline and motivation is to consider your own mindset as well as self-talk.
We want to share the books that we think are inspiring, and that shows us how much discipline equals freedom. When you hear discipline and resist temptation, we are not saying to deny what makes you happy. It is the latter. Resist the temptation to be in the “norm” of others. Take your own path.
You can be overwhelmed by the self-help book industry. Staying motivated can sometimes be difficult but reading books, published and/or written by people who have been through challenges and are experts in their field because they have lived it, truly helps. Books offer great resources to help keep you on track toward reaching your goals. Whether you want to learn how to stay mindful, set effective goals, tackle your fears, or discover how creativity can unlock manifestation for your future, these books will get you where you need to go.
What are your recommendations for the best books on self-discipline?
If you have any books you think would be a great addition to this list, let us know! We also love motivational quotes! We receive lots of nuggets of inspiration from guests on The Arner Adventures Podcast.
Frequently asked questions | FAQs
David Goggins’ books – he has two. Can’t Hurt Me or Never Give up. Read the above description of both. They are MUST reads!
These books are our recommended books if you were to start somewhere. There are thousands of books on this topic, so feel free to start wherever you want.
We recommend journaling. We have a post on this topic if you would like to check them out.